I hate you mosquitoes! – Part I

We wouldn’t be living in the South if we didn’t sit on the front porch in the evening, and we wouldn’t be in the south if we didn’t get eaten alive by mosquitoes every evening we sit on the front porch. We decided we’ve had enough….those little bastards will not stop us from enjoying the soon to be cooler Nashville days outside.

No estariamos viviendo en el Sur si no nos sentamos en el porch en las tardes, y no estariamos viviendo en el sur si los mosquitos no nos comen vivos cada tarde que nos sentamos en el porch.Ya estamos hartos…..esos malditos bichos no nos van a privar de disfrutar las agradables tardes de Nashville que estan por venir.

The solution…..screening the front porch! It’s a great DIY project and the perfect excuse to use my new miter saw! Actually, our house used to have the front porch screened in, but the wood was rotting and the sellers wanted to take it out to show a better house to buyers. (It worked for us..I guess!)

La solucion….poner malla en el porch! Es un muy buen proyecto para hacerlo tu mismo y una escusa perfecta para usar mi sierra nueva! La verdad es que neustra casa solia tener malla en el porch, pero la madera se estaba pudriendo y la gente que queria venderla sacaron todo para que se viera mejor en los ojos de los compradores (funciono con nosotros……supongo!)

The plan was to screen wall by wall starting from the side panel to the front and then the panel with the door. Why do it that way? well we figured that we would use the practice from wall to wall so once we got to the most difficult one, the door, we’d be experts! So after I planned, figured out the wood and measured a lot we started my project. I decided to use treated lumber as a way to extend the life of the screening job, and I chose fiberglass screen instead of aluminum – aluminum is more resistant but it also rusts and has sharp edges, so we will just be really careful and go for the safer material. I also decided to use 2 x 4 x 8s for the bottom piece, the middle stud and the middle horizontal piece. For the sides and top we used 1 x 4 x 8s. That would be the overall frame.

El plan era poner malla lado por lado comenzando por el lado lateral, despues el frontal y al final el otro lado que tendria la puerta. Porque hacerlo de esa manera? Creemos que la pratica nos va a ayudar una vez que tengamos que hacer la puerta, en ese momento seriamos expertos! Asi que despues de planear, ver que madera usar, y medir un monton de veces, comenzamos nuestro proyecto. Usamos madera tratada para extender la vida del proyecto, y tambien elegimos malla de fibra de vidrio en vez de aluminio – aluminio es mas resistente pero tambien se oxida y tiene filo, asi que vamos a ser muy cuidadosos y usar el material mas seguro. Tambien decidi usar 2 x 4 x 8s (pulgadas) para la pieza de abajo, el medio y la horizontal. Para los lados y arriba use 1 x 4 x 8 (pulgadas). Ese seria el marco.

I used a Kreg Jig for some of the joints. This little tool makes a perfect hole in the wood that allows you to screw diagonally on a perfect angle, ensuring a strong joint. Really cool and easy to use.

Use una Kreg Jig para hacer las uniones. Esta pequena herramienta hacer hoyos perfectos en la madera que the ayuda a atornillar de manera diagonal en un angulo perfecto, asegurando una union muy firme. Es muy util y facil de usar.

To attach the actual screen I used 1 x 2 x 8s and made frames to fit each section and screw them into the treated lumber. Then we stapled the screen and cut a 2nd set of frames to cover the staples and screw to the lumber. Like a fiberglass sandwich on treated lumber buns…that sounds not tasty at all! You need at least two people to set the screen tight, so Leslie was perfect (Chupete and Choripan wanted to help but their attention span was not adequate for the task)

Para poner la malla use 1 x 2 x 8 (pulgadas) e hize marcos para cada seccion y los atornille a la madera tratada. Luego pusimos la malla usando corchetes y cortamos un segundo set de marcos para tapar los corchetes y los atornillamos a la madera. Como un sandwich de fibra de vidrio en pan de madera tratada…eso no suena bien! Se necesita por lo menos 2 personas poniendo la malla para que quede tirante, asi que Leslie me ayudo (Chupete y Choripan querian ayudar pero su atencion no dura mucho asi que no son adequados para el trabajo)

Of course I made a few mistakes, but nothing that I couldn’t easily fix. The best thing I learned…drill holes in the 1 x 2s. I split a bunch of these thinner pieces with the screws, so even though its an extra step, it makes the job look better. The other thing I learned…I need a better drill.

Claro que cometi unos cuantos errores, pero nada que no pudiera arreglar. Lo mejor que aprendi…..hacer hoyos en los 1 x 2 en ver de atornillar directamente. Parti varios pedazos con los tornillos, asi que a pesar de ser un paso extra, hace el trabajo mejor y mas facil. Lo otro que aprendi…..necesito un mejor taladro.

20110820-101743.jpg

Trackbacks

  1. [...] to have it finished, working great, and looking good too. In my first post about this DIY project “I Hate You Mosquitos Part I” I showed you the way I decided to install the screens. It was practically the same “technique” [...]

Leave a Reply / Deje un Comentario

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

Follow

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 2,337 other followers

%d bloggers like this: